Permission to Search
There are no property's (land) in the U.S. that will not have an owner, either public or private. To be able to metal detect on
these lands you may need the property owner’s permission and when ever possible it is best to get permission in writing
(Private Property Only).
Remember that all National Park
Lands, National Recreation Areas or any other Historical lands, monuments or building are off limits to metal detecting or even having a metal detector in
your possession on these lands may be against the law.
Also many states, cities, school entities and counties have regulations that will make metal detecting
against the law. In some cases there may be a
requirement to get a metal detecting permit from a public agency.
If you are successful in getting permission to search, remember to ask the property owner if there are historical locations on
the property. This is important as you may not detect at an historical place on
the land (This may vary from State to State) even with the property owner’s permission.
The following permission letter is not a lawyer created
metal detecting legal letter. If a MORE formal permission to metal detect
letter is required you must contact a legal representative in your area.
Please note the following
concerning a liability waiver. Waivers maybe used between individual,
however, if there is an injury or other issue that may arise insurance
companies could get involved from either party. Insurance Companies will
probably not honor any previously agreement made between the parties either
oral or in writing.
Adobe .pdf Format: Download this letter
MS Word .doc Format: Download this letter
Informal Permission Letter
I am requesting permission to search for coins and relics with a metal
detector on your property. I am a metal detecting hobbyist and preserve my
finds for the pure enjoyment. My recovery methods require the use of hand
tools, such as a probe, screw driver or a small trowel and I try to lea e no
identifiable trace of my activities. I respect all property and will not
deface or alter anything in regards to my target recovery methods.
The metal detecting will take place during non-working hours, unless
approved otherwise, and will not interfere with the work in progress.
Specific Time: _____________________
Starting Date: _________________ Time: ___________
Ending Date: __________________ Time: ___________
Hobbyist and his guest are fully aware that they are entering the property
solely at their own risk, and in doing so will hold free of any claims and
/or liabilities against said property owner or authorization party.
This Permission request must be in possession when on the property, and
available upon request.
Authorizing Party: ______________________ Date: _____________ Time:
Hobbyist: _____________________________ date: ______________ Time:
Attached is a copy of our Metal Detecting Ethics
Ethics for Responsible Metal Detecting
- I will check Federal, State, County and Local Laws before searching. It is my responsibility to KNOW and UNDERSTAND THE LAW.
- I will report to the proper authorities, individual who enters and or remove artifacts from Federal or State Park / Preserves / Historical Sites.
- I will never remove or destroy priceless historical archeological treasures.
- I will not enter Cemeteries for the purpose of metal detecting.
- I will protect our Natural Resource and Wildlife Heritage.
- I will not enter private property without the owner's permission and when possible, such permission will be in writing.
- I will take care to refill all holes and try not to leave any damage.
- I will remove and dispose of any and all trash and litter that I find.
- I will not destroy or tamper with any structures on public or private property or what is left of Ghost Towns.
- I will not contaminate wells, creeks, or other water supplies.
- I will not tamper with signs, maintenance facilities or equipment and leave all gates as found.
- I will approach and educate those who do not follow good metal detecting practices.
- I will not metal detect in competitive hunts if I am the Hunt Master or plant hunt targets.
- I will make every effort to return found property to its rightful owner.
- I will be an ambassador for the hobby, be
thoughtful, considerate and courteous at all times to others their property.